This 10-mile rail trail takes visitors through the beautiful woodlands of southeast Ohio, including Zaleski State Forest; the communities of Zaleski and Mineral; and the Lake Hope State Park wetland areas. The corridor holds water on both sides of the trail, creating a wetland area that is home to numerous species of flora and fauna.
Additional points of interest along this trail are two unique and historic tunnels. King’s Hollow Tunnel (also known as King Switch Tunnel) is a 120-foot structure carved through the rock and lined by a series of 12×12 wooden beams. The Moonville Tunnel is brick-lined and has a long history of train accidents, earning the tunnel a reputation for being haunted.
About the Moonville Rail Trail Association
The Moonville Rail Trail Association (MRTA), a local 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, was established in April 2001 with the purpose of building and maintaining a rail trail freely open to the public. The mission of the MRTA is to maintain, promote, and expand a muscle-powered trail system in Southeastern Ohio that provides outdoor recreation opportunities for locals and visitors; preserve the surrounding natural environment and historic railroad infrastructure; educate the public about the region’s rich history; and promote economic development.
Contact the MRTA at:
Moonville Rail Trail Assoc.
P.O. Box 513
McArthur, OH 45651
Board of Trustees
The MRTA is governed by a 13-member Board of Trustees, volunteers who serve without compensation. The 2023 board consists of:
- Mary Jane Kelley, President (term expiring 2024) – 740-707-6895
- Mary Ann Borch, Vice President (term expiring 2025) – 740-591-1998
- Caleb Appleman, Secretary (term expiring 2025) – 740-596-7077
- Sharon Conner, Treasurer (term expiring 2025) – 740-974-7091
- Rich Dahn, Historian (term expiring 2024) – 614-296-3845
- Brian Blair (term expiring 2024)
- Vic Cole (term expiring 2024)
- Sherry Conner (term expiring 2024)
- Floyd Largent (term expiring 2024)
- David McPherson (term expiring 2025)
- Ralph Prater (term expiring 2025)
- Susan Spinelli (term expiring 2025)
- Glenn Stout (term expiring 2025)
The association meets at 6:30 p.m. every third Tuesday of the month at Hope Schoolhouse on Wheelabout Road, opposite the dam at Lake Hope State Park. Members and guests are always welcome to attend meetings. The Annual Meeting is held every April.
The Moonville Rail Trail Association welcomes anyone willing to volunteer time and energy to help maintain the trail and preserve its historic railway tunnels.
- Secured approximately 10 miles of unused railroad bed for the Vinton and Athens County Commissioners
- Installed 11 bridges
- Received approximately 9 grants
- Raised public awareness
- Install the two final bridges
- Connect the trail to the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
- Extend the trail south toward Lake Alma State Park
- Host annual events and activities
- Ongoing public relations and marketing efforts
Volunteers needed to:
- Maintain the trail by removing downed trees and litter
- Raise public awareness
- Develop fundraising strategies
- Research and apply for grants
- Donate financial aid
Download a brochure and membership application below:
Moonville Rail Trail Brochure
- Support trail maintenance with annual dues
- Participate in trail work days
- Volunteer on various projects
- Attend monthly meetings
Sign up for our newsletter to receive important updates about events along the Moonville Rail Trail. It only goes out a few times a year.
If you would like to contribute funds for trail maintenance and tunnel preservation please consider making a donation through PayPal using the the button below.
The MRTA sells Moonville-themed merchandise to raise money for ongoing trail maintenance and preservation efforts. Merchandise is available for purchase at the Vinton County Visitor Center and Hope Schoolhouse Welcome Center. Products include t-shirts, hoodies, hats, mugs, tote bags, bumper stickers, trail maps, and more. An online store is coming soon!